- Essential documentary films for higher education
- Exclusive academic streaming for films from renowned leaders in documentary film distribution:
- Over 600 titles
- Flexible licensing options
- Curate your own collection, or choose one of ours
- High quality encoding
- Variable bitrate delivery
- Support for desktop and mobile devices
- Delivery via high performance distributed content delivery network
- MARC records
- Searchable, interactive transcripts (the list is growing)
- Detailed analytics
- Free previews (first 10 minutes) for registered users
- Free 30-day trial available
Jean Rouch: Six Films
We are very excited to make available for the first time for academic streaming six of the most renowned films of French ethnographer Jean Rouch.
The West African films of Rouch revolutionized both cinema and the practice of ethnography in the 20th century. The Rouch titles available on Docuseek2 include his most highly regarded works. The set represents the period of his most sustained creative flourishing, in which he developed the techniques of "ethno-fiction" and "ciné-trance". He described his practice during this era as "shared anthropology", which he said "appears to me to be the only morally and scientifically feasible anthropological attitude today." Click here for more of the films of Jean Rouch.
"The very nature of ethnographic cinema - how it is practiced, how it is talked about, where its limits are deemed to lie-has been profoundly shaped by the work of the late Jean Rouch." — Paul Henley, THE ADVENTURE OF THE REAL: JEAN ROUCH AND THE CRAFT OF ETHNOGRAPHY
Welcome new distributors
We are also pleased to announce two new film sources on Docuseek2.
First, we have added 10 titles from the London-based distribution company Scorpion TV. Scorpion specializes in independent documentary films, which are a great fit with the rest of the Docuseek2 content. Nine are available for streaming now, with the tenth coming shortly. Click here to view a list of the Scorpion titles.
We have also added two films from the Austrian distributor Autlook, including Microtopia about innovative architects pushing the limits of living space, and 1914: A War of Images about the use of film as a propaganda tool during World War I.
We have also added 12 new films from Collective Eye, and dozens of new films from Bullfrog Films and Icarus Films, bringing our total collection to over 635 titles!